This Rajma Palak Curry is prepared with green fresh spinach leaves and protein-enriched rajma, and can be served with rice/rotis/pooris.
Rajma Palak masala
Serving: 3-4 people | Time: 30 minutes
Spinach/Palak – 300g
Kidney beans/Rajma – ½ cup (100g)
Tomato – 3 (250g)
Green chilli – 2
Ginger – 1 inch
Oil – 2-3 tbsp
Cumin seeds – ½ tsp
Asafoetida – 1 pinch
Turmeric powder – ¼ tsp
Garam masala – ¼ tsp
Red chilly powder – ¼ tsp
Coriander powder – 1 tsp
Baking soda – ¼ tsp
Salt – more than 1 tsp or to taste
* Clean the rajma by wash them thoroughly. Soak them for 8-10 hours.
* Wash the soaked kidney beans again and place them in pressure cooker. Add 1 cup water, ¼ tsp baking soda and salt (to taste) or ½ tsp salt in the pressure cooker. Close the lid and place it on flame for cooking the beans.
* After one simmer, reduce the flame and cook for 6-7 minutes on low flame. Turn off the flame now. Open the lid when all the steam has gone out. The kidney beans should have turned soft if they’ve been cooked correctly.
* Remove the stalk from spinach. Wash the leaves 2-3 times thoroughly with water and place them in sieve so that water drains out completely.
* Take the washed leaves in a vessel, add ½ cup water to it, cover and cook on medium flame until it simmers once. It will take 3-4 minutes for the spinach to cook. Grind the boiled spinach to make a paste — the purée is ready.
* Wash the tomatoes, green chilli and ginger thoroughly; chop and ground to make a fine paste.
* Take some oil in a pan. When oil is hot, add asafoetida and cumin seeds to it. When cumin seeds turn brown in colour, add turmeric powder, coriander powder, tomato paste, red chilli powder and sauté until the oil starts separating from it.
* Add the spinach paste and salt in the masala. Also add the boiled rajma, garam masala and cook the spinach rajma curry on low flame for 3-4 minutes.
* The palak-rajma is ready. Take out the curry in a bowl, add some cream to garnish and serve hot with chapatti/parantha/naan/rice and enjoy.
— Recipe by Nisha Madhulika
You can watch the video here:
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines