Dahi Vada is one of the most popular snacks in India and is also a festival favourite. But then, you have to get the recipe right for that perfect plate of Dahi Vada.
Here you go.
Urad dal – 1 cup (250 grams) (soaked)
Coconut – 1/4 cup (grated)
Green coriander – 3 to 4 tbsp
Cashews – 7 to 8 (finely chopped)
Black pepper – 1 tsp (crushed)
Ginger – 1 inch (minced)
Asafoetida – 1 inch (minced)
Oil – for frying vada
Roasted Cumin powder – 1 tbsp
Black salt – more than 1 tbsp
Red chilly powder – 1 tbsp
Mint powder – 1 tbsp
Green coriander chutney
Mango powder sweet chutney
Time – 90 minutes
* Clean the urad dala and wash thoroughly before soaking it in water for 3 to 4 hours. Drain out excess water from the soaked dal and grind it coarsely with very little or no water in a grinder.
* Take grounded dal in a big bowl and whisk it thoroughly with your hands.
* Prepare the stuffing to fill in the vadas. For this take grated coconut, finely chopped cashews, crushed black pepper, some green coriander and finely chopped ginger in a bowl. Mix everything really well.
* For drenching dahi vadas in water, take some water in any vessel and add asafoetida and salt into it. Mix well.
* Preheat oil in a wok for frying vadas.
* For making vadas, take a polythene sheet with 4*6” dimensions. Place it over a board or rolling plate. Wet the polythene with some water.
* Now with help of your fingers, make a lump from dal mixture and place it over the polythene sheet. Flatten the dal with your hand and place some stuffing over it. Now make another lump from the dal, flatten it slightly and place it over the stuffing, sealing it nicely. Press the dahi vada with your hands, flatten and then give it a round shape. Lift up the vada from polythene sheet very gently and place it in wok for frying.
* Now fry it on a low-medium flame until it gets golden brown in colour from both sides. Take out the fried vadas and place them in water with asafoetida and salt.
* Tie curd in a cloth to drain out the water from it. Whisk the thick curd left over cloth, really well. Now add 2 tsp sugar in curd and add some water as well. Mix everything really well.
* Take out dahi vadas from water and squeeze it gently between your palms to drain out the excess water and place them in serving plate.
* Pour curd over them. Now sprinkle some roasted cumin powder, red chilly powder, black salt, mint powder, green coriander chutney and sweet chutney. Serve these tantalizing dahi vadas and enjoy eating.
* Ground the dal with very less or no water. Whisk the dal until it gets fluffy. Take dal in a plate and whisk it with your hands.
*If you wish to serve the dahi vadas immediately, then soak them in water with salt-asafoetida, the moment you take them out from the wok. If you wish to serve them later in any party, then soak them in lukewarm water with salt-asafoetida 2 hours prior using. After 1 hour dahi vadas turn puffy and can be served.
A homemaker in Noida, and passionate about cooking, Nisha Madhulika at 54 started http://www.nishamadhulika.com in 2007. She started her YouTube channel in mid 2011. She is known for making recipes with easily available ingredients. She has posted more than 1100 videos on her channel so far. She is one of the most popular chefs online and was recently featured in YouTube Top Chefs coffee table book.