October 12, 2015 3:06:42 pm
The fresh, minty taste, and the red-white appeal of tomato and paneer make this delightful dish a winner.
250 gms paneer – cut into 1” triangular or square pieces
4 onions – sliced
½ tsp turmeric (haldi) powder, 1 tsp red chilli paneer
¾ tsp salt, 4 tbsp tomato puree
3 big tomatoes
2 tbsp dry mint (poodina) powder (read tip, given below)
4 tbsp oil
* Cut each tomato into 4 slices lengthwise, remove pulp, chop the pulp and cut the outer skin into 1” pieces. Keep aside.
* Heat 4 tbsp oil and add sliced onions, cook till brown. Add 2 tbsp water. Stir.
* Reduce heat. Add turmeric, red chilli powder and salt.
* Add pulp of tomatoes and tomato puree. Cook for 5-6 minutes or till oil separates.
* Add paneer, dry mint powder, tomato pieces and garam masala powder. Stir for 2 minutes and remove from heat. Serve hot.
Tips: Drying mint (Poodina) in a microwave…
Spread 1 cup mint leaves in a flat micro-proof plate. Microwave for 2 minutes. Give standing time for 2 minutes. Remove from microwave and leave it outside for 2 hours till dry. Store in an air tight bottle. To use, crush with the hands roughly.
Nita Mehta is a celebrated chef and has penned over 600 books. Her book cover a multitude of cuisines from around the world. 450 of her books have been on the best-seller list, and in the short span of a few years she has sold over 7.5 million books. Several of her books have also won International Awards. She has conducted cooking classes in USA, UK, Canada and several other countries, and appeared on many TV channels in cookery shows. For following Nita Mehta’s recipes and buying her books online visit http://www.nitamehta.com
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.