August 28, 2015 5:22:02 pm
If you like green chillies, mirchi ke tipore is the recipe for you. A typical Rajasthani dish, served as a pickle on the side. The recipe is very simple and takes less than 10 minutes. My mom loves chillies and the rest of us are too keen on high spice levels, so she always had tipore ready. They stay well in the fridge for upto a week. Sometimes I even add them while cooking another dish to lend it some achaari flavour.
Mirchi ke Tipore
Preparation Time: 5 mins | Cooking Time: 5 mins| Serves: 4-5 as accompaniment
12 green chillies, chopped into discs
1 tbsp mustard oil
2 tsp fennel
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
1/8 tsp asafoetida
Salt to taste
Juice of half lime
* Heat mustard oil in a pan, till it starts to smoke. Remove from heat and let it cool for a couple of minutes.
* Lightly pound the fennel and asafoetida in a mortar pestle.
* Return to heat, add asafoetida, fennel, salt and turmeric powder to the hot oil. Sauté for half a minute.
* Now add the chopped chillies, mix well such that all the chillies are coated well in the spices. Sauté for 2-3 minutes on low flame, till the chillies just start to soften.
* Sprinkle lime juice and serve
Food is never just food. I believe it’s story telling, it’s conversation. It brings people together and it speaks a universal language! I love to play around in my kitchen. The thrill of being able to create something new and sharing it with others is what fuels my passion for cooking. The fact that dear husband is a foodie and an honest critique helps! I blog about my adventures in the kitchen at http://www.myweekendkitchen.in/
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.