This tangy pyaaz tamatar ki subzi, might just fall into the category of a chutney but I like to have it as a vegetable fry. This time I did a slight tweak in my recipe and added coconut (since my husband is a big coconut fan!) and voila! it took a whole new taste.
After our dinner I made a sandwich out of the leftover for a friend who dropped in the day after. “You make a dish out of anything!” That’s what she said when I told her this is tomato-onion vegetable fry. First there was raw tomato vegetable and then sev tamatar and then this. For her a combination of tomato and onion can only form the base and needs to have the core ingredient. But when she had it, she sure did ask for more.
Pyaaz Tamatar ki Sabzi
Preparation time: 10 mins | Cooking Time: 10 mins | Serves 2
2 onions, chopped
4 tomatoes, chopped
2 green chillies, slit lengthwise
1 inch ginger, peeled and cut into thin slivers
1/2 cup grated coconut
2 tbsp chana daal
2 dry kashmiri red chillies
1 tsp mustard seeds
a pinch of asafoetida
7-8 curry leaves
2 tsp coriander powder
1 tsp cumin powder
1/2 tsp turmeric powder
salt to taste
1 tsp sugar
1 tbsp oil
* Heat oil in a pan
* Add asafoetida, chana daal, mustard seeds and dry kashmiri red chilli. Sauté until the the daal turns brown.
* Add the slit green chillies, ginger and onions. Sauté for 5 minutes, until the onion becomes soft.
* Add tomatoes and all the spices. Mix well and cook for another couple of minutes until tomatoes turn soft.
* Sprinkle sugar and grated coconut. Mix well and cook for just a minute.
* Serve hot. This one tastes great even cold!
Food is never just food. I believe it’s story telling, it’s conversation. It brings people together and it speaks a universal language! I love to play around in my kitchen. The thrill of being able to create something new and sharing it with others is what fuels my passion for cooking. The fact that dear husband is a foodie and an honest critique helps! I blog about my adventures in the kitchen at http://www.myweekendkitchen.in/
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines