Not sure what to make for lunch today? Try this quick recipe at home.
Subzi Stir Fry
The Indian stir fry.
4 tbsp yogurt
2 tbsp tomato puree
1 tsp coriander (dhania) powder, ¼ tsp garam masala powder, ½ tsp chilli powder
½ tsp coarsely crushed pepper, ¾ tsp salt
Seeds of 3 green cardamoms (chhoti illaichi) – crushed
1 medium potato – cut into 8 pieces
1 carrot – cut into thin round slices
8-10 French beans – cut into 2” pieces
8-10 pieces cauliflower – cut into medium florets
1 tbsp butter, 1 tsp oil
1 bay leaf (tej patta)
1” piece cinnamon (dalchini)
1 onion – chopped
1 tsp chopped garlic, 1 tsp chopped ginger
2 green chillies – chopped
* Boil 4 cups of water. Add 1 tsp of salt. Add potato. Boil for about 10 minutes till tender. Check with a knife. When the potatoes are done, remove from water. Add carrot, beans and cauliflower to the boiling water. Boil for 1 minute. Leave in hot water for 2 minutes till the vegetables turn crisp-tender. Strain and keep aside.
* Mix together in a cup – curd, tomato puree, coriander powder, garam masala, chilli powder, pepper powder, salt and cardamon seeds. Keep aside.
* Heat butter and oil in a kadhai, add bay leaf and cinnamon. Stir and add onions. Cook till light pink and add garlic, ginger and green chillies. Cook for ½ minute.
* Reduce heat. Add the yogurt mixed with spices and stir fry for 1 minute till slightly thick.
* Add the vegetables, stir on low flame to coat the masala on the vegetables. Mix well, serve hot with toasts or chapati.
Nita Mehta is a celebrated chef and has penned over 600 books. Her book cover a multitude of cuisines from around the world. 450 of her books have been on the best-seller list, and in the short span of a few years she has sold over 7.5 million books. Several of her books have also won International Awards. She has conducted cooking classes in USA, UK, Canada and several other countries, and appeared on many TV channels in cookery shows.
For following Nita Mehta’s recipes and buying her books online visit http://www.nitamehta.com
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines