I love mint! I love it in drinks, I love it in chutney and I love it in desserts especially chocolates. However till now I had not used mint as the main ingredient of any savoury dish. So yesterday when the vegetable vendor put a bunch of fresh mint in my basket, I thought of coming up with something savoury with it and the result was cold Mint-almond pesto pasta salad!
Forget the tomato or cheese based sauces, it’s the season of greens! Try pesto. This one is a 5 minute pesto recipe. Requires no chopping and no cooking (except for the pasta of course!).
Mint-Almond Pesto Pasta Salad
Preparation Time: 10 mins| Cooking Time: 10 mins| Serves 2
150gms pasta of your choice (I used Chifferi Rigati)
1 medium tomato
2 cups fresh mint leaves
2 cloves of garlic
30-40 roasted salted almonds
Juice and grated zest of ½ a lime
Salt and black pepper to taste
¼ cup virgin olive oil
* Cook pasta in 2 litres of salted boiling water for 8-10 minutes, stirring occasionally
* Drain well and run under cold water. Keep aside.
* In a food processor, pulse together mint, garlic, almonds, lime juice, lime zest, salt and pepper.
* Add olive oil and puree again till the pesto is coarsely ground. (The almonds give a very nice texture to the pesto.)
* Chop the tomato into big chunks.
* Toss the pesto with chopped tomatoes and cooked pasta.
* Serve cold
Food is never just food. I believe it’s story telling, it’s conversation. It brings people together and it speaks a universal language! I love to play around in my kitchen. The thrill of being able to create something new and sharing it with others is what fuels my passion for cooking. The fact that dear husband is a foodie and an honest critique helps! I blog about my adventures in the kitchen at http://www.myweekendkitchen.in/