“No matter how many books you read or how many wise men you meet, you need to form a personal philosophy for your life.”
You never truly know everything about the lives of other people. You do not know if the saint is a saint, or a sinner is a sinner. You can count the money people have, but there is no way you can measure how happy or miserable they are. The world is full of seemingly happy people who are emotionally miserable. It took me some 15 years of thinking to arrive at the formula that gave me peace of mind. I just wish to share that formula with you. You do not have to believe me, but see in case you can use it to arrive at your personal philosophy:
1) Be at peace with yourself: You were born only to be yourself. Learn from others, keep role-models but always be your unique self. Comparison is the cause of all misery. Never envy or pity someone because both these emotions are born out of your ignorance. Why someone is richer than you or why someone is poorer than you is none of your business because people have their own journey. If you wish to serve people who are poorer than you, then serve them. Only you can define your potential to earn, learn and perform.
2) No material thing in this world is bigger than you: Do not let anything that you own, own you. You car, house, money, gadgets are there to be your servant not to be your master. Never regret the loss of material things. Learn the lesson and do not damage your relationships with others. If you know the size of the universe you will not worry about what you own. No emotion of happiness or sadness is bigger than you. Learn to calm your mind and thank the life force for the opportunity to live another day. Do not worry, fear or be afraid but just be grateful. Negative emotions paralyze you and action frees you up from emotional prison. Laugh at business and relationship setbacks, and then make a comeback.
3) Do not judge people and never break up with yourself: People do strange things and there is no way you can control them. It is stupid to get upset over something you cannot control. Love people till the time they are with you but never try to control their behaviour. No matter how many break-ups you have, never break up with yourself. There is only one person who stays with you till the time you are alive and that is you. Make sure you keep that person happy. Do not cry if good things are over, just smile that they happened. Work to create more positive experiences.
4) Do not get caught up in the duality of the world: The world functions because of a play of opposite forces. You cannot kill one evil force without killing the good. The world owes you nothing and it was here before you and it will be here after you. Do not let anything in this world disturb your peace of mind. Give up the need for appreciation and the fear of criticism.
5) Identify a selfless-goal: If you are born as a human then you have no choice but to take action. Make sure your action is directed towards a goal related to serving the world- flora or fauna. Hope you noticed that I did not use the word ‘help’ the world. You actually help yourself by serving the world because it gives you an opportunity to use your mental and physical potential. Only you decide how much you want for yourself and how much you need to give to others. You cannot prescribe it to others. When you are not working for personal agenda, the life force comes on your side because the very nature of life force is selflessness.
6) Believe in yourself: Believe in yourself even if you believe in God or not. Trust the life force within you and work towards your goal. A fearful person cannot truly love God or anyone else. Be independent and expect nothing from the world. There is power in bold action accompanied with strong self-belief. Self-confidence is the only currency you need to buy your dreams.
7) Take highest quality action: Take highest quality action to reach your goal in life. Accept what your actions bring you but do not expect anything. Undertake action for the sake of action and have no attachment with victory or failure. Actions are completely in your hands, results are not. Action is the only way to control the mind because thoughts usually take us to past or future. Everything fails in the absence of action and worry takes over.
8) Mindfulness: Live in the present moment and do not worry about past or future. Your efficiency will go up and you will experience the power of present moment. The most important task is the task at hand, the most important person is the person in front of you, the most important place is where you are and the most important time is where you are. The fact that you are going to die, can make you enjoy every moment.
9) Knowledge: Be open to more knowledge that purifies your mind and soul. Follow your intuition and divine guidance whenever it comes up in your life. It tells you when to change your actions or change your goals. People who stop learning, stop growing. Likewise, it is equally important to unlearn your conditioned thoughts and responses. Knowledge purifies your action and purpose.
10) Energy: Do everything possible to increase your physical energy and mental vitality to take action towards your selfless goals. Your body is only your partner in the journey called life. Increase your emotional and mental energy through meditation and physical energy through good diet and exercise.
Unless your goal is completely selfless, you will not experience peace. And unless you give your best your mind will never be at rest. Your mind knows what you are capable of doing and if you act smaller than your potential then it disturbs you.
Siddhartha Sharma is the bestselling author of 5 books- 60 Keys to Success, The Millionaire Entrepreneur, Love Your Mondays and Retire Young, Thank God It’s Monday, and Mom I Got the Job. His seminar, workshops and books have transformed over a million lives. He is the CEO of Success Monks and can be reached at his Facebook Page- http://www.facebook.com/Siddhartha.successmonks