If international reality TV star Kylie Jenner’s lip fillers make you want to try out the look for this festive season, be wary of a few before and after things to do, say experts.
Capital-based aesthetic dermatologist Simal Soin, Aayna, Khan Market, suggests:
* Choose a doctor who is not only certified, but who has an eye for aesthetics and works carefully to understand your face and create a personalised approach to your lips.
* Lip fillers last for over a year and the entire procedure takes only 15 minutes. However, if you smoke, the effect will be shorter.
* It is important to avoid certain supplements a week prior to the procedure. Fish oil can act as a blood thinner, which can increase your risk of bruising and swelling.
Another aesthetic dermatologist, Anupriya Goel of Berkowits in New Delhi, said:
* Give yourself at least two weeks before an important event, so your lips can completely heal. Try a Friday if possible.
* A topical numbing cream can minimise the ‘pinch-like pain’ from the needle along with lidocaine, a numbing agent, that is added to most fillers. However, if you are allergic to lidocaine, do inform your doctor.
* The best way to avoid swelling post the treatment is to ask your doctor for an ice pack and sleep with your head elevated for the next couple of days.