Updated: November 7, 2019 1:25:15 pm
How often do you read the label or ingredients on makeup or skincare products before slapping them on your face? The answer may be ‘not often’. But of late, there has been awareness among the masses about which products to consume, where they have have been tested, are they cruelty-free, etc. Moreover, brands are also coming up with products that have the goodness of organic ingredients like essential oils.
One such essential oil is argan oil, which helps create a protective layer on the skin. It is used in both skincare and makeup products such as foundation and primers. However, its benefits are not limited to skincare. A plant oil produced from the kernels of the argan tree that is endemic to Morocco, argan oil is used to dip bread in at breakfast or to drizzle on couscous or pasta. It is also known as Morocco argan oil in some places.
In one study ‘Skin hydration in postmenopausal women: Argan oil benefit with oral and/or topical use‘, both oral and topical applications of argan oil improved the moisture content of the skin in postmenopausal women. Some other benefits of this wonder oil include:
* It can be used as a natural primer before applying makeup. Just take three to four drops of the oil and apply gently on your face. Let it dry for a few minutes before applying foundation. It helps close the pores and keep the skin nourished.
* During winter, it works amazingly on chapped lips.
* Argan oil helps lock in the skin moisture and control the sebum production in oily skin types. It also provides vitamin E and linoleic acid to your skin all day.
* Argan oil is said to help prevent chronic illnesses, including heart disease, diabetes and cancer.
* The antioxidant and anti-inflammatory compounds in argan oil may help reduce redness and irritation of the skin caused by acne, according to the study, Anti-Inflammatory and Skin Barrier Repair Effects of Topical Application of Some Plant Oils.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.