Updated: September 20, 2017 3:45:36 pm
Mahalaya marks the beginning of the auspicious period Devi-Paksha and the end of the Pitri-Paksha, which is the Shradh or mourning period. It is primarily a Bengali festival and is celebrated with great enthusiasm and zeal by Bengalis across the world. Mahalaya is observed seven days before Durga Puja and this year it falls on September 19.
The folklore behind the celebration of this festival are many but the most famous is a belief that Mahalaya is an invitation of Goddess Durga to begin her journey from Kailash to her paternal home (earth), along with her children. It is believed that the invitation is extended to the goddess in the form of chants, recitals, prayers and devotional songs. Mahalaya is a Sanskrit word derived from ‘maha’, meaning great, and ‘alaya’, meaning abode.
The other story in Indian mythology is that on this day Goddess Durga took birth with the blessings of all the gods so that she can eventually kill the demon king Mahishasura. This day, thus, is also a celebration of feminine power and the triumph of good over evil. (Read more here)
Mahalaya also holds a special meaning for Hindus, who celebrate it in the form of Tarpan. Men clad in traditional dhoti go the banks of the holy river Ganga and offer their prayer to their deceased forefathers and ask for their blessings. (Read more here.)
On this auspicious occasion, here are some WhatsApp wishes, texts, images and greetings that you can share with your loved ones to wish them good fortune and a Subho Mahalaya. Here’s a collection so that you don’t have to go searching for them.
* May Goddess Durga eliminate all your vices and brings happiness to you. Fill your life with colour of joy and virtue, and grants you peace for all your accomplishments.
* May her blessings remove all obstacles from your path of life as she removes the darkness from the universe on this auspicious day.
* May this Durga puja be as bright as ever. May Ma bring in all the joy and happiness today and last for all your tomorrows. Subho Mahalaya!
*May Goddess Durga bring joy and happiness to you and your loved ones this Durga Puja Subho Mahalaya 2017
* Memories of moments celebrated together
Moments that have been attached in my heart forever
Make me Miss You even more this Festival
Hope this Mahalaya brings in Good Fortune
And Long lasting happiness for you!
* May Maa Durga empower u & ur family
with her Nine Swaroopa of Name,
Bhakti & Shakti.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.