Four persons have been arrested in connection with the rampage at Kalyani University in which two senior officials were assaulted, police said on Thursday.
Police arrested four persons on Wednesday in connection with Tuesday’s incident when agitating students and employees of the varsity in Nadia district demanding the VC’s resignation went on a rampage injuring two officials.
Estate in-charge Pratap Santra and Admission Committee Chairperson Prof Sujata Chowdhury were attacked by the students besides damaging CCTV cameras and furniture in the varsity premises.
- Three held for tampering with Mumbai varsity answersheets
- Manipur University: HC suspends pro V-C, registrar amidst fresh tension
- Day after Allahabad varsity students’ poll results, four held for violence on campus
- Five arrested for attacking school bus during BJP bandh
- Manipur: Man lynched on suspicion of vehicle theft, five arrested
- ‘Rs 20,000 for college seat’: Police arrest ABVP member, accomplice
The protesters claimed that the VC Rattan Lal Hangloo had declared the results of 10,000 undergraduate students of colleges affiliated to the university as incomplete a month ago.
Describing it as “unfortunate”, West Bengal Governor K N Tripathi who is also the Chancellor of the university, on Wednesday said that discipline should be maintained by everybody.
The state government had said that action would be taken against those involved in the attack. Education Minister Partha Chatterjee visited the university and met its Vice-Chancellor and Registrar on Wednesday.
“Administrative steps will be taken against the attackers, whether men or women. What has happened cannot be tolerated,” Chatterjee said.
Ruling Trinamool Congress MP and noted academician Sugata Bose had also condemned the assault. A woman was at the forefront in attacking the two officials who have been hospitalised.
The VC had claimed that the university authorities were to invoke a rule of law and instill discipline in the campus which some of the employees and students disliked.