CPM politburo member Biman Bose was seriously injured during a clash between Left Front supporters and policemen during a rally called by Krisha Sabha, the agricultural front of the CPM, in central Kolkata on Thursday afternoon. While Bose sustained a bleeding injury on his head, several policemen were also seriously hurt in the incident.
The Krishak Sabha, had given a call for a march to Nabanna – the seat of West Bengal chief minister, Mamata Banerjee, in protest of the flood relief mess, soaring prices of essential commodities and the state government’s failure to check prices.
- Wooing youth with plays, tutorials & music: For CPM, its student wing is a silver lining
- Bhangar violence: Arabul’s arrest an eyewash, says BJP
- West Bengal panchayat polls: Left Front rubbishes report of alliance with BJP
- Left parties will not contribute to post-poll violence, says Biman Bose
- In fact: In aggression and farm issues, the CPM’s clawback plan
- Left protesters turn violent as cops resort to lathicharge
The trouble started when the Left Front supporters, who were marching towards Nabanna, were stopped by police. After the exchange of words, protesters grew restive and started hurling stones at the policemen.
The police retaliated and lathicharged the protesters and stopped media persons from covering the incident. Several media persons were also hurt badly.
Biman Bose, who was leading one of the main processions, was caught in the chaos and lathis rained on him and other supporters. “The police instigated the mob and the protesters to violence. It was totally uncalled for,” said Bose.
The protesters complained that agricultural workers were the worst hit in the recent floods but the government relief was inadequate.