Updated: April 22, 2021 4:14:52 am
The three-member judicial commission formed on the direction of the Supreme Court is learnt to have given a clean chit to the policemen involved in the encounter killings of gangster Vikas Dubey and his four aides.
The commission, which submitted its report along with its recommendations to the state government on Monday, also probed last year’s July 2 incident, in which a police team that had gone to Kanpur’s Bikru village was ambushed. Eight policemen, including a Deputy SP-rank officer, were killed in the attack.
“The commission report has been submitted to the government and a copy of it will be sent to the Supreme Court,” said retired UP Director General of Police K L Gupta, one of the commission members. He refused to divulge the details of the outcome of inquiry, but claimed that during the probe, they had looked into all the facts of the incidents, which took place between July 2 and July 10.
Sources said the inquiry commission has found no evidence of wrongdoing by the state police.
Apart from Gupta, the commission comprised Justice (retired) Shashi Kant Agarwal and was headed by former Supreme Court judge, Justice BS Chauhan.
With the completion of the inquiry by judicial commission, no other probe is pending in connection with the July 2 incidents and killing of six persons in the encounter.
Other inquiries, which includes police investigation, magisterial and judicial inquiries into death of six people in police encounters were completed in January.
Hours after the attack on police team, the UP police gunned down Vikas’s maternal uncle Prem Prakash Pandey and his aide Atul Dubey in Kanpur on July 3. Amar Dubey was shot down in Hamipur district on July 8. A day later, Ranveer alias Bauva Dubey was killed in Etawah district and on the same day Prabhat Mishra alias Kartikey, who was being brought from Faridabad in Haryana on transit remand, was killed in an encounter in Kanpur. Vikas was killed on July 10 while he was being brought to Kanpur from Ujjain, Madhya Pradesh, where he was arrested a day earlier. He was gunned down in Kanpur district.
The judicial inquiry was conducted into the encounters of Vikas Dubey and Prabhat Mishra because they were in police custody when they had died. A magisterial inquiry was conducted into the death of the other four persons.
“Inquiries and police investigation into all five cases have been completed and clean chit have been given to all policemen involved in encounter,” said a senior police official closely involved with the investigation.
On the night of July 2 last year, when a police team reached Vikas Dubey’s house at Bikru village, assailants fired on them from rooftops. Eight police personnel, including Deputy Superintendent of Police Devendra Mishra, were killed and several got injured. The police arrested 37 people and gunned down Vikas Dubey and his five associates in separate encounters. Police also razed down a portion of Vikas Dubey’s house in Bikru village, a day after the ambush.
The police have filed chargesheet against 37 people, including two police personnel. Two police personnel are then Choubeypur SHO Vinay Tiwari and sub-inspector K K Sharma. Both were suspended and later arrested for allegedly tipping Dubey about the police raid.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.