Prime witness in Badaun ‘rape-murder’ case fails lie detector test, says CBI

According to CBI, Nazru, the sole eye-witness in the case, underwent a polygraphic test recently.

By: PTI | New Delhi | Updated: September 17, 2014 9:44:12 pm
Badaun: In the first twist, forensic evidence based on DNA tests conducted by the agency ruled out any sexual assault on the two teenageres. Badaun: In the first twist, forensic evidence based on DNA tests conducted by the agency ruled out any sexual assault on the two teenageres.

Adding a new twist to the  Badaun alleged gangrape case  the CBI said on Wednesday that the prime witness — an associate of the families of the two cousins who were killed and “like an uncle” to them — had failed the lie detector test. This comes a month after the fathers of the two girls also failed the polygraph test.

“The lie detector report of the main witness (Nazru) has been received. The report indicated certain alleged inconsistencies in his statements,” said a CBI spokesperson.

It was on the basis of Nazru’s statement that the police registered a case and arrested five persons — three brothers and two constables. It was alleged that the two girls had been raped and murdered.

Nazru alias Babu Ram told investigators that on the evening of May 27, when he went to his fields on the outskirts of the village, he saw the youngest of the three accused brothers dragging the two girls. He claimed he could not identify three other people in the group. He said when he tried to rescue the girls, the accused overpowered him and threatened to shoot him.

CBI officials also said on Wednesday that a mobile phone was recovered from Nazru, although he had earlier denied its existence. “His mobile phone… has been recovered by the CBI. It has been sent for experts’ examination,” said the CBI spokesperson. Officials said the phone would be examined to check his call record before the incident and also to analyse if any data has been deleted.

CBI  sources said while the polygraph or lie detector test found that Nazru did go to the spot and saw the girls with the youngest accused brother, there were several inconsistencies on “key questions” about his version of events that transpired thereafter.

In his statement, Nazru claimed that he ran back to the village and alerted the girls’ families, after which they launched a search for the cousins. However, the accused, who were released on bail in the first week of September, said that Nazru engaged in a scuffle, after which he took the girls with him.

The girls, aged 14 and 15 years, were found hanging from a mango tree near the fields in the early hours of May 28. On August 18, CBI officials said forensic evidence from the reports of the Centre for DNA and Fingerprinting and Diagnostics (CDFD) in Hyderabad “ruled out sexual assault on both the girls”, contradicting the May 28 post-mortem done at the district hospital in Badaun which said that “perineal findings were suggestive of rape.”

The five accused got bail after completing 90 days in judicial custody, when CBI said they will not be filing a chargesheet against them on August 26.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App