scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Saturday, August 20, 2022

UP govt to set up 218 fast-track courts for rape, POCSO cases

The move by the UP government comes days after a 23-year-old woman from Unnao, who was allegedly raped last year, was set ablaze. Her death triggered a nationwide outrage.

UP govt to set up 218 fast-track courts for rape, POCSO cases Uttar Pradesh Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath

Amid the Opposition’s growing attack over rising number of cases of crimes against women, the BJP government in Uttar Pradesh on Monday announced to set up 218 fast-track courts for speedy trial of the cases related to crimes against women and children.

The decision was taken at a Cabinet meeting chaired by Chief Minister Yogi Adityanath here.

State Law Minister Brajesh Pathak said that of these 218 fast track courts, 144 will exclusively hear cases of rape, while the remaining 74 courts will hear cases filed under the Protection of Children from Sexual Offences (POCSO) Act.

“At present, about 42,379 cases related to crime against children and about 25,749 rape cases are pending in the courts of Uttar Pradesh. The state has 81 fast-track courts to hear cases related to women. Now, the rape cases will be transferred to the new fast-track courts,” the minister said.

Subscriber Only Stories
Jobs to roads to sports university — the many projects on Sisodia’s platePremium
Delhi Confidential: British High Commissioner to India trolls Manchester ...Premium
As chip shortage bites, companies cut down features to reduce delayPremium
Independence Day’s end: The mystery of the files missing from Tripura Pol...Premium

According to the government, setting up of new fast-track courts will cost the exchequer Rs 163 crore with an estimated expenditure of Rs 75 lakh on each court per year. The minister said that 60 per cent of the cost will be borne by the Centre and the remaining 40 per cent by the state government.

The move by the UP government comes days after a 23-year-old woman from Unnao, who was allegedly raped last year, was set ablaze. Her death triggered a nationwide outrage.

First published on: 10-12-2019 at 05:20:05 am
Next Story

House panel on IT to hear from WhatsApp representatives tomorrow

0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by indianexpress.com.

Featured Stories

Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement