In a fresh jolt to AIADMK General Secretary V K Sasikala on Saturday, Tiruppur MP V Sathyabama joined the O Paneerselvam bandwagon shortly after veteran leader and party spokesperson C Ponnaiyan joined the chief minister’s camp. In a statement to the media, with OPS by his side, he said, “In present situation person who has been with the party for so many years and assumed duty of CM for two times is only OPS.” Sathyabama’s support makes it to total of four out of 50 MPs by Panneerselvam’s side. Meanwhile, Sasikala said that from tomorrow onwards, AIADMK would begin a new kind of protest. “Delaying tactics is an attempt to create divisions in party. Please wait and watch,” she told reporters. Shortly after her statement, Tiruvannamalai MP R Vanaroja also reached Paneerselvam’s residence and extended his support to him. Earlier in the day, the party general secretary had chaired a meeting with the AIADMK MLAs about the prevailing situation at the Golden Bay Resort in Kuvathur. In the hour-long meeting, she held discussions on the “next course of action”, party-backed Jaya Plus TV Channel said.
Rattled by the desertions, Sasikala, who has been elected the leader of the AIADMK legislature party, drove to the luxury resort, 100 km from Chennai, in an attempt to prevent the MLAs who have been put up there for the last three days from switching sides. According to reports by the Jaya Plus TV Channel, she held discussions on the “next course of action”. K A Sengottaiyan, who was appointed the presidium chairman after the removal of Madhusudhanan, told reporters after Sasikala’s meeting with the MLAs that all the MLAs have taken a pledge that they will back her to the hilt till she becomes chief minister. Tight security was maintained outside the resort where AIADMK MLAs were present.
Here are the highlights:
12:30 AM After meeting the party MLAs, I feel happy, says Sasikala (ANI)
12:20 AM It will be proper if she takes responsibility, will help in achieving party’s goal says Tamil Nadu MLA Rengasamy told ANI, after meeting AIADMK General Secretary V K Sasikala
10:00 pm: Tiruvannamalai MP R Vanaroja reaches Panneerselvam’s residence, extends support.
08.59 pm: Please wait and watch, VK Sasikala tells reporters on questioning if she will look for legal remedies.
08.54 pm: From tomorrow onwards, we would begin a new kind of protest. Delaying tactics is an attempt to create divisions in party: V K Sasikala
08. 48 pm: All party MLAs are fine and happy. We’re waiting patiently till this moment for a reply from the Governor. Needed measures will be taken: V K Sasikala
08. 46 pm: AIADMK Chief V K Sasikala says the delay on the part of governor is to split the party.
08. 45 pm: After meeting the party MLAs, I feel happy says VK Sasikala
08. 41 pm: I extend my support to our leader O Panneerselvam, who continues to walk on the path of our beloved leader Amma: AIADMK MP Sathyabama
8:30 pm: List of MLAs has already been submitted, but governor is calm, he should come out and call our ‘Amma’ to form the government: AIADMK MP Anwar Raja
08.08 pm: Amidst the developing political crisis in Tamil Nadu, police security has been intensed in Chennai to maintain peace and public order in the city.
07. 49 pm: BJP MP Subramanian Swamy meets Governor Vidyasagar Rao, discusses current political scenario in Tamil Nadu.
07. 37 pm: A total of four MPs, out of 50, are with O Panneerselvam now.
07.30 pm: AIADMK’s Tiruppur MP V Sathyabama meets CM O Panneerselvam and offers support.
06. 32 pm: It will be proper if she takes responsibility, will help in achieving party’s goal: TN MLA Rengasamy after meeting with V K Sasikala.
06. 20 pm: O Panneerselvam is the only person who can lead the party, no one else can including Sasikala Natarajan: C. Ponnaiyan.
06. 15 pm: In present situation person who has been with the party for so many years & assumed duty of CM for 2 times is only O Panneerselvam: C. Ponnaiyan
06. 00 pm: Entire party is behind V K Sasikala, she is going to be the CM of Tamil Nadu, waiting for the governor’s appointment: Gobichettipalayam MLA K A Sengottaiyan
05. 26 pm: Senior AIADMK leader C. Ponnaiyan meets O Panneerselvam, extends support to him.
05. 25 pm: AIADMK General Secretary V K Sasikala leaves Golden Bay resort after holding a meet with MLAs in Kuvathur.
05. 20 pm: Sasikala surrounded by supporters at Golden Bay resort in Kuvathur where MLAs are present, slogans raised in her support.
— ANI (@ANI_news) February 11, 2017
05. 17 pm: Slogans raised in support of Sasikala inside the Golden Bay resort in Kuvathur
05. 16 pm: VK Sasikala chaired a meeting with party MLAs on the next set of actions to be taken, at Golden Bay resort in Kuvathur.
05. 15 pm: Inside visuals of the Golden Bay resort in Kuvathur, VK Sasikala present along with MLAs
05. 11 pm: Security has also been tightened at Raj Bhavan with heavy police deployment.
05. 05 pm: Police force deployment outside Golden Bay Resort in Kuvathur where V K Sasikala is holding a discussing with party MLAs.
04. 55 pm: I am confident of all leaders who care about Tamil people will come and join us. Amma’s soul is leading us, truth will win: O Panneerselvam.
04. 50 pm: Amma is confident that I’ll look after AIADMK. Relentless work by Amma has made AIADMK third largest party. Amma is with us now. She is showing us betrayers of our party. People who think they can separate our party that has 1.5 crore people will only face defeat: AIADMK General Secretary V K Sasikala.
04. 45 pm: Drama is coming to a close soon. I’m at least in touch with 20 of the MLAs, so I don’t think phones are switched off: K Pandiarajan Read More
04. 40 pm: Extending his support to O Panneerselvam, Tamil Nadu education minister K Pandiarajan siad,”Our number will be more than what it is today and it will land at 135.”
04. 10 pm: V K Sasikala starts meeting with MLAs at the resort.
03. 51 pm: V K Sasikala reaches Golden Bay Resort in Kuvathur to meet MLAs.
03. 40 pm: Visual of Golden Bay Resort in Kuvathur where MLAs are lodged, V K Sasikala en route.
03. 30 pm: O Panneerselvam’ s camp has 3 MPs, 7 MLAs including CM and a Minister while V K Sasikala’s camp has the majority, numbers remain unclear.
03.00 pm: Sasikala Natarajan will be meeting party MLAs today with more assurances and promises.
02. 45 pm: V K Sasikala leaves Poes Garden for J Jayalalithaa’s memorial at Marina Beach, later she’ll go to Koovathur resort where MLAs are lodged.
02. 32 pm: We urge the Prime Minister and Home Minister to safeguard Tamil Nadu from forces which are all out against us and can take law and order into their hands: AIADMK MP V Maithreyan.
02. 30 pm: Before crossing over to join the O Panneerselvam camp on Saturday, Tamil Nadu Education Minister K Pandiarajan had said two days ago that Panneerselvam’s suggestions had not been overruled and that he had given his consent to all decisions taken by AIADMK recently. In a statement, he had said all 135 MLAs have given their letters of consent in support of VK Sasikala to be elected as the legislative party leader, including Panneerselvam.
02. 25 pm: Pandiarajan, who is an MLA from Avadi, had tweeted hours ago, “Will surely listen to the collective voice of my voters & decide in a way to uphold the dignity of Amma’s memory & unity of AIADMK !” in what many thought was a change of heart.
02. 20 pm: O Panneerselvam welcomes state minister K Pandiarajan who has extended his support to him.
02. 10 pm: The minister, who was a strong supporter of Sasikala just a day ago, had refuted reports that MLAs were being kept captive by the party’s general secretary. In his earlier tweets, Pandiarajan had alleged that Panneerselvam was being instigated by the DMK to split the party and capture power.
02. 15 pm: I have extended my support to CM (OPS), our only aim is to keep party united: State Education minister K Pandiarajan
01.00 pm: Tamil Nadu Chief Minister O Panneerselvam on Saturday launched a signature campaign for converting late Jayalalithaa’s Poes Garden residence into a memorial. Flanked by some AIADMK MPs and former ministers, Panneerselvam made the first signature to this effect at his Greenways Road residence.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines