A fire was reported at a private school in Surat city, on Monday morning. School authorities immediately shifted students to safety and no casualties were reported. The officials of the Fire & Emergency Services also immediately brought the fire under control.
The fire was reported at the Raychand Dipchand School in the walled city of Surat at around 8.20 am. As soon as the fire was detected, school authorities shifted the students to a safer place. As soon as the news of the fire spread, anxious parents rushed to the school.
Schools in Gujarat reopened Monday after summer vacations, and the incident comes close on the heels of the fire at a private coaching centre in the city on May 24 that left 22 students dead.
Following the incident, the fire officials had started a drive to check the fire safety measures in various educational institutes.
Surat Chief Fire Officer Basant Parek said that after the May 24 fire, 1751 tuition classes and some schools were surveyed, of which 1237 were found to have not installed fire safety systems. The Raychand Dipchand School had a fire safety system.
Fire officer Raysingh Patel said, “The cause of the fire might be loose electric wiring in the meter box. The situation has been brought under control.”
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines