The ongoing tussle between the BJP and Rashtriya Lok Samta Party over sharing of seats intensified on Saturday as RLSP chief Upendra Kushwaha rejected the saffron party’s offer of two seats. In the party executive held today, Kushwaha set November 30 as the deadline for the BJP to announce “honourable” seats to RLSP.
The RLSP chief said his party expects that BJP will answer their all questions by November end. “Amit Shah didn’t give time to meet me, now I will not meet any BJP leader, except the PM,” he said, claiming that he wants to be with the NDA but some people who do not want Modi as PM are misguiding him.
In the party executive meet, Kushwaha said whatever seats BJP has offered is not acceptable. He also stepped up his attack on Bihar Chief Minister Nitish Kumar, claiming that he is resorting to “nasty tricks” of breaking RLSP.
The meeting came at a time when the RLSP is locked in a tussle with its NDA partner JD(U) and has been seeking the BJP’s intervention.
The RLSP had won all three seats it contested in 2014 as a part of the NDA. BJP reportedly offered RLSP two Lok Sabha seats for the 2019 election, but Kushwaha is not ready to settle for anything less than four seats.
On Monday, Union Minister and RLSP chief Upendra Kushwaha met former MP and Loktantrik Janta Dal chief Sharad Yadav in Delhi, indicating that RLSP is drifting away from the NDA and closer to the RJD-led Grand Alliance in Bihar.
After meeting Sharad Yadav, Kushwaha had told reporters, “Nitish Kumar has been out to cause damage to us. We are not going to suffer though…We are still with NDA and want BJP to intervene.”
However, a BJP source had earlier this week said that the party is not bothered by Kushwaha’s statements to drift away from the NDA and would offer him only two seats.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines