Follow Us:
Monday, July 16, 2018

Two killed as security forces open fire in Kashmir valley

Two persons were killed in separate incidents when security forces allegedly opened fire at mobs.

Written by Agencies | Srinagar | Published: June 28, 2010 11:17:44 am

Two persons were killed in separate incidents in Kashmir valley today when security forces allegedly opened fire at mobs protesting the death of a youth in the apple town of Sopore.

The first incident took place in the outskirts of Sopore town this afternoon when a mob gathered outside the headquarters of 92 batallion of CRPF and started hurling stones,official sources said.

They said despite repeated warnings and bursting of tear gas shells,the mob refused to disperse after which the CRPF opened fire,killing a youth named Tajammul.

Sopore town — 54 kilometres from here and home to pro-Pakistan hardline leader Syed Ali Shah Geelani — has been under curfew for the last two days and people had staged demonstrations defying prohibitory orders.

In the same district,people had gathered in the morning on the streets to take the funeral procession of Bilal Ahmed Wani — killed allegedly in firing by CRPF yesterday – to Srinagar which was prevented by the police. Militants of Hizbul Mujahideen also fired at the police from the crowd,the sources said.

In another incident,a youth was killed and another injured when CRPF personnel allegedly opened fire at protestors at Delina,45 kms from here,the sources said.

The youth,Tauqeer Ahmad Rather (25),was declared brought dead when he was taken to a hospital.

In Srinagar,eight persons were injured when police opened fire at Hukarsar area to prevent a march by some locals to Sopore to express solidarity with the relatives of Wani,the sources said. All the eight have been admitted to a hospital.

The sources said personnel of Special Operation Group of local police opened fire when protestors threw stones at security vehicles at Hukarsar on Srinagar-Sopore road.

Meanwhile,the state government has appointed Mohammed Shafi Khan as Special Commissioner for Sopore and Pankaj Saxena as Special Inspector General to control the situation in the north Kashmir town.

Several leaders of moderate Hurriyat Conference,including its chairman Mirwaiz Umar Farooq,were placed under house arrest by the authorities in Srinagar ahead of their proposed march to violence-hit Sopore to express solidarity with the families of the youth killed in firing yesterday.

Besides the Mirwaiz,those placed under house arrest included JKLF chairman Yasin Malik and top executive members of the amalgam Bilal Gani Lone,Maulana Mohammad Abbas Ansari,Aga Syed Hassan Alsafvi Almosvi and advisor to the chairman Shahidul Islam,the sources said.

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App