The Telangana Rashtra Samiti (TRS) on Tuesday retained the Warangal Lok Sabha constituency, bypolls for which were held on November 21.
TRS’s Pasunuri Dayakar, a fine arts graduate who has been associated with the party since 2001, received 6,15,407 votes in a constituency with 15.35 lakh voters.
- Telangana: CM ordered police to intimidate our leaders ahead of polls, says Congress
- CPM declines to join Telangana TDP’s proposed grand alliance
- Telangana Chief Minister KCR dissolves House, EC looks at polls with 4 others
- Telangana Rashtra Samiti wins Warangal LS bypoll with 4.6 lakh votes
- Warangal Lok Sabha bypoll: 40% voter turnout till noon
- Warangal: ‘Suicide’ deals Congress a blow in TRS stronghold
While Congress’s Sarve Satyanaryana received 1,56,315 votes, BJP-TDP’s Dr P Devaiah got 1,30,178 votes, while YSRCP’s Nalla Suryaprakash finished with 23,352 votes.
Seven Assembly segments fall in the Warangal Lok Sabha constituency—Ghanapur (Station), Palakurthi, Parkal, Warangal West, Warangal East, Wardhannapet, and Bhupalpalle. While Palakurthi and Parkal have sitting TDP MLAs, the remaining five constituencies have TRS MLAs including former health minister Dr T Rajaiah from Ghanapur (Station) and Assembly Speaker T Madhusudhana Chary in Bhupalpalle.
Meanwhile, Tuesday’s results showed that majority of voters preferred TRS even in constituencies with TDP MLAs.
In the 2014 Lok Sabha election, Kadiam Srihari of TRS won with a huge margin.
A bypoll in the Warangal reserved seat was necessitated after Srihari was inducted into the Telangana cabinet and the seat fell vacant.
Srihari himself said Tuesday’s results reflected the TRS government’s popularity. “This result proves that the TRS government is doing good work,’’ he said.