Here’s what you need to know about the Tapas Paul rape remark:
1. In House, Paul hardly spoke: Under fire for threatening to get CPM women by “my boys”, Trinamool Congress MP Tapas Paul, first elected to the lower house in 2009, sat through the 15th Lok Sabha without asking a single question.
2. Tapas Paul says sorry: TMC MP Tapas Paul tendered an unconditional apology for his speech at a rally in Nadia district on June 14, where he allegedly threatened to kill CPM workers and have his men rape their family members.
3. Mamata shot back at the media over Tapas Paul rape remark: “It is not just a mistake, it is a big blunder. We have taken steps that are needed to be taken. What do you want? Should I kill him? What can I do?,” Mamata said.
4. Whistleblower wants safety for kin: The 24-year-old handed over the video clip of the “fiery speech” that his screen idol had delivered at his Choumaha village in Nadia district village on June 14. All he wants is safety for his family.
5. People shocked to hear such words from Tapas Paul: On June 14, 24-year-old Shafina Bibi went to hear Bengali film actor Tapas Paul speak at a rally. Five minutes into the speech, she ran away, unable to believe what she had just heard.
6. Tapas Paul would appear to fall into the mould of the stock-in-trade corrupt politician of Bengali potboilers: Tapas Paul was the quintessential bhalo chele of Bengali cinema,” says film historian Sanjay Mukhopadhyay, of Jadavpur University’s film studies department.