For people of Amethi, who have been waiting for their MP Rahul Gandhi to listen to their problems, Congress chief Sonia Gandhi stepped in instead and assured them that the party vice-president would be back soon.
Most locals seemed convinced and gave her a hard time by stopping her cavalcade at various places with their long list of complaints. A few days ago, several posters of ‘MP missing’ had come up in Amethi.
- Rahul Gandhi in Amethi: ‘UPA projects didn’t progress under BJP rule’
- Amethi: Kanwariyas in saffron greet Rahul, chant ‘Bam Bam Bhole’
- In Amethi, ‘Shiv Bhakt’ Rahul Gandhi slams Modi govt on Rafale; BJP reminds him ‘saffron terrorism’ remark
- Amethi: Smriti Irani slams Rahul Gandhi over ‘lack of development’
- Sonia Gandhi assures Amethi: Rahul will be back soon, I am here on his behalf
- Rahul still ‘on leave’, Sonia to visit Amethi today, meet rain-hit farmers
At some places they even told Sonia that verbal assurances were not enough and asked her to send Rahul to listen to their problems. She, on the other hand, kept on asking Rahul’s representative to note down complaints and grievances. “He will be back soon and will visit these people. I am here on his behalf. Rahul or Priyanka or me, it does not matter. Amethi and Rae Bareli are both our responsibilities,” said Sonia, when asked “when would Rahul come back?”
However, as the information about Sonia’s visit spread, locals started gathering along road side at different places.
In Fursatganj area of Amethi, locals stopped Sonia’s cavalcade to complain about poor condition of roads.
“Kehne se kuch nahi hoga madam. Road banwa dijiye. Vidhayak to sunte nahi hai (verbal assurances would not help much. Even local Congress MLA also does not listen)” Satish Singhal, a villager in Fursatganj told Sonia after he along with other villagers stopped Sonia’s cavalcade. Another villager, Ajai Kumar Singh, shouted, “Rahul ji ko bhejiye”. Sonia listened to the complaints and assured villagers that Rahul would visit them soon.
In Tendewa village of Bahadurpur block in Amethi, students and teachers of a madarsa stopped her cavalcade and complained that long time back they had requested Rahul for stoppages of some trains there. They also asked Sonia to intervene and ensure repair of the road. Sonia told them that work has been sanctioned.