Punjab Chief Minister and Shiromani Akali Dal (SAD) president Parkash Singh Badal tried to motivate party workers by invoking the party’s history.
At a rally marking the Gurta Gaddi Diwas of Sikh Guru Angad Dev, Badal said, “Religion and politics go hand in hand in Sikhism. Khalsa Panth history has endless examples of sacrifices made for the country, the state and the Panth itself. We follow the principles of Miri and Piri (Sikh concept to connote the close relationship between the temporal and the spiritual aspect of human life).”
“We cleared our Gurdwaras of corrupt priests in the 1920s. SAD was formed on the back of supreme sacrifices made by party workers then,” he said.
- ‘Referendum 2020’: Sukhpal Khaira faces all-round fire; AAP snubs him, hints at action
- Parkash Singh Badal advice to Amit Shah: Dispel insecurity among minorities
- Amit Shah meets SAD brass: ‘There’s no conflict between us,’ says Sukhbir Singh Badal
- Resolve differences, prepare for 2019 war: SAD chief Sukhbir Singh Badal to NDA allies
- Known Laddi for long…man with clean heart: Punjab CM Amarinder Singh
- Punjab: Sukhbir Badal asks EC to order arrest of Laadi Sherowalia
He claimed that there was no other party in Punjab that could challenge the SAD as the only one that took a stand against suppression.
“At the time of Emergency, no one had the freedom to write or think. The then Prime Minister Indira Gandhi offered us power in return for not opposing the Emergency. But we decided to follow the principles laid down by our Guru and opposed it,” the CM said.
Earlier, Sabha MP Ranjit Singh Brahmpura, revenue minister Bikram Singh Majithia, chief parliamentary secretary Virsa Singh Valtoha, MLA Manjit Singh Mianwind and Veer Singh Lopoke expressed fear that the workers might be swayed by the promises being made by opposition parties AAP and Congress.
“Remain attached to the party. Do not be trapped by AAP and other parties. Otherwise, you will repent,” said MP Brahmpura in his address.
“Somnath Bharti had unleashed his dog on his wife. If you commit mistake to bring them (AAP) to power, there would be black dogs all over the state to bite you,” said Majithia.