The Mumbai Police on Thursday filed a chargesheet against four accused in the gangrape of a 23-year-old photojournalist in the Shakti Mills.
The accused have been charge-sheeted under various sections of IPC including 376(d) (gangrape),377 (unnatural offence),201 (destruction of evidence) and 120(b) (criminal conspiracy) and 34 (common intention) among others.
The 600-page charge sheet filed in a magistrate’s court has details of the victim’s ordeal,statements of 86 witnesses,forensic evidence collected from the spot,DNA analysis reports,besides phone call records.
The photojournalist was allegedly gangraped by five men,one of them a minor,on August 22 evening when she had gone to the Shakti Mills compound along with a male colleague on an official assignment.
The chargesheet contains details of the victim’s ordeal,witnesses’ statements,evidence collected from the spot,DNA analysis reports,phone call records and test identification parade information,among others,police said.
Maharashtra Home Minister RR Patil had earlier told reporters that Mumbai police will file a chargesheet in the gangrape case on September 19. “We are making a strong case against the accused,” Patil had said.
The chargesheet was earlier set to be filed on September 17,but since police were busy with the security arrangements for the Ganeshotsav,the same was postponed till Thursday.
Police claimed it had more than sufficient evidence against the five accused Salim Ansari,Vijay Jadhav,Mohd Kasim Hafiz Shaikh alias Kasim Bangali,Siraj Rehman Khan and a minor boy.
A strong piece of evidence is the DNA report which confirms the involvement of all the five accused.
Maharashtra government is keen to fast-track the case so that the culprits are given a harsh sentence at the earliest.
(With PTI inputs)