scorecardresearch
Follow Us:
Saturday, June 25, 2022

Maharashtra: 12 children administered sanitiser instead of polio drops at health sub-centre in Yavatmal

While the children were later hospitalised at Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) in Yavatmal, district health officials said they were fine and under observation for 48 hours. The staffers responsible will soon be suspended and an inquiry into the matter was underway, officials added.

Written by Vivek Deshpande | Nagpur |
Updated: February 2, 2021 1:58:11 pm
polio drops, children administered sanitiser, Nagpur news, Maharashtra news, Indian express news"The children are absolutely fine and are under observation for 48 hours," said Yavatmal District Health Officer Hari Pawar. (Representational)

STAFF WORKERS at a health sub-centre in Yavatmal district allegedly administered sanitiser instead of polio drops to 12 children aged between one and five. While the children were later hospitalised at Government Medical College and Hospital (GMCH) in Yavatmal, district health officials said they were fine and under observation for 48 hours. The staffers responsible will soon be suspended and an inquiry into the matter was underway, officials added.

“The children are absolutely fine and are under observation for 48 hours,” said Yavatmal District Health Officer Hari Pawar.

Krishna Panchal, Chief Executive Officer of Yavatmal Zilla Parishad, told The Indian Express, “The 12 children were administered two drops of sanitiser at Kapsi sub-centre of Bhambora public health centre (PHC) in Ghatanji tehsil. The three staffers there, community health officer, ASHA worker and anganwadi sevika, realised around 2 pm that the children were administered sanitiser instead of polio drops. So, the parents were called again and polio drops were administered. The local sarpanch got the information about the wrong dose and complained to higher authorities. The children were then brought to Yavatmal GMCH.”

Asked if the children had developed any problematic health symptoms, Panchal said, “Only one child was vomiting. But even polio drops can cause that. But that’s not the issue. It’s about the staff’s negligence. We have started an inquiry and action will be taken against them.”

Best of Express Premium
Explained: How the billion-dollar automobile industry is changing, courte...Premium
Need to accelerate reform pace in energy transition: CEO, Niti AayogPremium
Top six nutrients to enhance the longevity of your brainPremium
5G: All spectrum may not get sold; govt stares at shortfallPremium

Panchal added, “This should not have happened because polio drops are in a bottle labelled with a vaccine viral monitor, which shows a particular colour indicative of appropriate temperature being maintained. So we are trying to find out if the three staff members were properly trained in the exercise of administering the polio dose. Normally, this responsibility rests with the medical officer of the PHC.”

Express Subscription Check out our special pricing for international readers when the offer lasts

📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by indianexpress.com.
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement
Advertisement