December 4, 2016 7:45:52 pm
The National Investigation Agency has conducted searches at the houses of two suspected Al-Qaeda operatives, arrested last month in Madurai, police said. Various documents and mobiles phones were seized in the searches held last night from the houses of Suleiman and Abbas Ali, they said.
The searches were conducted by a 20-member NIA team led by Rahul and Pradeep.
Watch what else is making news
Suleiman and Ali along with M Khareem were arrested after raids in several places of the city on November 28 on specific information that suspected Al-Qaeda activists were operating from south Tamil Nadu. Explosive materials were also seized from them.
It was said that the three allegedly planned to attack 22 top leaders of the country, including Prime Minister Narendra Modi. They were also reportedly involved in threatening various embassies in the country.
The trio was running the Al-Qaeda unit in south Tamil Nadu. They were allegedly involved in the explosions that took place in various courts in the country over a period of time.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.