With the Brihanmumbai Municipal Corporation (BMC) authorities firm on taking action against illegal flats in the Campa Cola Housing Society in Mumbai,affected families on Wednesday braced for a face-off and blocked entry by parking vehicles near the gate.
The civic staff,which disconnected power,water and gas connections in the empty flats on Tuesday,is expected to reach the compound gates shortly.
The residents,who allege that they have been singled out for action despite over 55,000 illegal constructions in the city,spent a restless night ahead of the civic action.
Like they did on Tuesday,the residents have blocked entry by parking vehicles near the gate.
The Supreme Court had set November 11 deadline to vacate 102 flats declared as illegal. Families living in the compound had pinned their hopes on Chief Minister Prithviraj Chavan stepping in and saving their homes by passing an ordinance to regularise their flats.
Fighting a legal battle since 2005,the residents said they were duped by the builders and will be on the roads if their flats were pulled down.
The seven high-rise buildings were constructed at the Campa Cola Compound between 1981 and 1989. The builders had permission for only five floors,but constructed several more. While one of the buildings has 20 floors,another has 17.
The chief minister,while talking to reporters in Nagpur yesterday had said that the state government was examining the issue on how to go ahead and had already sought the opinion of State Advocate General.
“The government is seeking views of other legal experts on the possible relief against the backdrop of the Supreme Court order,” Chavan had said.