Intermittent rainfall today took place across Uttarakhand leading to landslides on the Mayali -Guptkashi road which was closed to heavy vehicles as a precautionary measure. As authorities tried to ensure that flood-relief work was not hampered as a result of the showers,Chief Minister Vijay Bahuguna today set July 29 as the deadline for the submission of the final assessment report on the damage caused by last month’s natural disaster in the state. During a meeting via video conference with officials in the affected districts,Bahuguna stressed on the importance of quickly opening alternative routes to the Chardham area including to Gurdwara Hemkund Sahib.
He issued instructions for continuation of free supply of rations to villages cut-off due to the floods and said that contractual employees hired by the state government may be retained till February 28 next year to assist in the relief work.
The CM also said he was considering extending an additional compensation of Rs 25,000 to the widows of those who perished in the natural disaster in the state. Meanwhile,state disaster management officials reported widespread light to moderate rainfall. Even though relief work continues despite the showers,Rudraprayag DM Dilip Jawalkar said that landslides had affected movement on the Mayali-Guptkashi road.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines