India expects that Pakistan will initiate some credible action against LeT operatives and handlers involved in the Mumbai terror attack before July 15 when External Affairs Minister S M Krishna visits Islamabad.
Officials said this was the indication given by Pakistani side during their interaction with Indian delegation on the sideline of the just-concluded SAARC Home Ministers conference in Islamabad.
They told us that India will not be disappointed this time. We are expecting some credible action by Pakistan against the LeT operatives and handlers before the Foreign Ministers visit, an official said.
Krishna will visit Islamabad on July 15 for talks with his Pakistani counterpart Shah Mahmood Qureshi to work out the modalities for carrying forward the dialogue process.
During his one-to-one meeting with his Pakistani counterpart Rehman Malik,Home Minister P Chidambaram particularly mentioned about seven persons against whom so far no action has been taken by Islamabad despite sufficient evidences were given.
The seven are Sajjid Mir,Abdul Rehman,Pasha,Brigadier Riyaz,Abu Khafa,Al Kama and Abu Hamza.
The names of these seven persons were given by Pakistani-American LeT operative David Coleman Headley during his interrogation by the National Investigation Agency.
Seven people,including LeT operations chief Zakiur Rehman Lakhvi,were being prosecuted by Pakistan in the Mumbai terror attack case.
Officials said when India sought voice samples of the accused,Pakistan cited a lower court order of that country which prevented them to take the samples.
But during our meetings,the Pakistani side informed us that they would move the higher courts against the lower court order and take the voice samples of the accused, the official said.
India has been demanding voice samples of Pakistan-based handlers of the 10 terrorists who attacked Mumbai on November 26,2008 killing 166 people.