March 31, 2009 5:38:44 pm
Barred from contesting election,film star Sanjay Dutt said that he respects the Supreme Court order refusing to stay his conviction in a 1993 Mumbai blasts case but made it clear that he will continue in politics and campaign for the Samajwadi Party.
“I honour the court’s verdict,but I will not leave Lucknow. I will continue to campaign for the Samajwadi Party and its candidate,” Dutt said.
Asserting that he had full faith in judiciary,Dutt said,”I am not going anywhere. I am here to stay I am not leaving. Any candidate who will come will be my candidate. It is my seat and will always remain so.”
Asked whether his wife Manyata will now be the SP candidate from Lucknow,he said that it will be decided by the party supremo Mulayam Singh Yadav and general secretary Amar Singh.
“It is not my decision. Mulayamji and Amarji have been with me and it is my duty to be with them throughout my life,” he said.
50-year-old Dutt had sought suspension of his conviction under the Arms Act in connection with the Mumbai blasts case so that he could contest for the first time in the general elections. He had been sentenced to six years imprisonment.
After his candidature was announced by the party,Dutt had launched his election campaign and visited the city several times.
📣 The Indian Express is now on Telegram. Click here to join our channel (@indianexpress) and stay updated with the latest headlines
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.