September 24, 2011 5:53:35 pm
Maharashtra Police today claimed they had identified the terror group responsible for the July 13 Mumbai blasts in which 27 people were killed.
The group behind the attack has been identified,Director General of Police Ajit Parasnis told reporters in Kolhapur in Western Maharashtra.
“We have got information (about the blasts) but it needs to be investigated properly for leads,” said Parasnis,but refused to divulge the name of the outfit.
The metropolis was rocked by three bomb blasts at Zaveri Bazaar,Opera House and Dadar.
Best of Express Premium
Speaking on the police firing on protesting farmers at Maval in Pune district last month,he defended the action by the men in uniform in which three farmers were killed.
He said policemen were also attacked by the mob,protesting against a drinking water supply scheme.
“Many of the (injured) policemen are still recuperating in the hospital,” Parasnis said.
The DGP’s statement comes a few weeks after the State Government ordered a judicial probe and a Pune Court ordered registration of murder case against eight policemen allegedly involved in the firing.
Parasnis slammed the media for its coverage of the firing incident,saying it was “biased and one sided.”
It could be clearly seen in the video footage that the protesters were way beyond the firing range of the armed policemen,he said.
The DGP said terrorism and Naxalism were two key challenges before the police. Cyber crime and white collar crime are emerging as challenges.
🗞 Subscribe Now: Get Express Premium to access our in-depth reporting, explainers and opinions 🗞️
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.