With the two-month deadline to submit the report coming to an end,the one-man inquiry commission into Muzaffarnagar riots that left over 60 people dead has sought six months extension from the Uttar Pradesh government.
“The Commission has sought more time to complete its inquiry and the process is already on in this regard,” Justice (ret) Vishnu Sahai said.
The one-member judicial inquiry commission of Justice Vishnu Sahai was constituted by the UP government on September 9 to probe the Muzaffarnagar violence starting from Kawal incident on August 27 till September 9.
The Commission was also asked to look into administrative lapses,if any,in controlling the violence. The report was supposed to be submitted to the government within two months.
Its deadline ended on Monday.
Meanwhile,the Justice (ret) Vishnu Sahai Commission recorded the statements of riot victims during inquiry on its visit here today.
A resident of the riot-hit village Kutba Rizwan deposed before the commission and alleged that people of the minority community had left from the village after eight people including a woman,were killed.
The victim alleged that after they left their village their property had been looted,said the official.
The Commission has received more than 350 written statements and has also visited Muzaffarnagar,Baghpat and Meerut and Saharanpur districts affected by communal violence in September.