Yakub Memon moves SC, seeks stay on his hanginghttps://indianexpress.com/article/india/india-others/yakub-memon-moves-supreme-court-challenges-validity-of-death-warrant/

Yakub Memon moves SC, seeks stay on his hanging

The serial blasts in March 1993 had left 257 dead and over 700 injured. Yakub Memon is the only convict whose death sentence was upheld by the SC.

Yakub Memon, Mumbai, TADA, 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, Yakub Menon review plea, death penalty to Yakub Menon, Yakub appeal, Supreme Court, H L Dattu, Bombay 1993 bombing, 1993 bombay bombing, india news, news
Yakub Memon

Yakub Memon, the lone death-row convict in the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts case, moved the Supreme Court on Thursday seeking an immediate stay on the execution of his death sentence, scheduled for July 30.

Watch video: (App users click here to watch video)

In his criminal writ petition, Memon said that his death warrant was issued by a TADA court in Mumbai even though he had not exhausted all the legal remedies available to him.  He said he had now approached the Governor of Maharashtra with a plea for mercy.

Also read: Story of Yakub Memon: He saw it as ‘sacrifice’

His petition also contended that the death warrant did not adhere to the procedure and guidelines as it was issued by the trial court even before his curative petition was heard and decided by the Supreme Court. The death warrant was issued in the last week of April, whereas Memon’s curative petition was dismissed on July 21.

[related-post]

Advertising

The petition also cited the Supreme Court’s decision relating to death warrants issued to a couple from Uttar Pradesh. In May, the apex court had quashed the death warrants issued by a sessions court in Amroha, stating that the warrants were “signed in haste” without following proper guidelines.

The couple, Shabnam and Salim, were sentenced to death for killing seven members of the former’s family in 2008. Less than a week after the Supreme Court confirmed the death sentence on May 15, the sessions court issued death warrants on May 21. But, according to the law, the convicts should be allowed 30 days to file review petitions. Further, they can file curative petitions and pleas for clemency.

Also read: How the President decides matters of life and death

In his plea, Memon said that he has liberty to file a curative petition as well as a clemency plea before the Governor, but the trial court issued the warrant in haste, bypassing the norms laid down by the top court. He also claimed that he was not keeping well and therefore could not be hanged in the current medical condition as per the established procedure.

Memon’s petition is likely to be mentioned on Friday for an urgent hearing.

Wife, daughter meet Yakub Menon in jail

Nagpur: The wife and daughter of Yakub Memon, the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts convict who is on death row, met him at Nagpur Central Prison on Thursday amid tight security.

Wife Raheen Memon and daughter Zubeda were accompanied by Yakub’s sister in-law Rizwana Akbar Carwala and two other male members of the family.

After arriving at Nagpur railway station from Mumbai, the family members headed straight to the jail where they were allowed entry through a special gate meant for inmates’ relatives. They spent around 55 minutes with Yakub. Refusing to reveal details of the meeting, jail superintendent Yogesh Desai said, “We were only concerned about facilitating their visit to the jail, which we did.” ENS

Who is the election result winner in your Lok Sabha constituency? Click here to find out. Get real-time updates, news and analysis on the 2019 Lok Sabha election results only at indianexpress.com/elections | For a deep dive on the elections check out data.indianexpress.com