In a suspected case of witch hunt, a 45-year-old man was allegedly burnt to death by a group of villagers in Ganjam district of Odisha on Wednesday on suspicion of practising witchcraft. Two persons have been arrested for the killing.
- Five beaten to death in Maharashtra: The many cases of suspected ‘child lifters’ being lynched across India
- Assam: Couple beaten up night-long, woman’s head shaved for having ‘illicit affair’
- Now, man lynched in West Bengal on suspicion of being child lifter
- Maharashtra: 2 men lynched in Aurangabad district on suspicion of being robbers
- Telangana: Two men lynched by villagers over theft suspicions
- Odisha: Two tribal men killed over witchcraft allegations
Police said villagers of Dhepaguda in Sanakhemundi block of Ganjam allegedly thrashed Prakash Mallick and burnt him to death. “We seized some bones and ashes from the cremation ground,” said Ajay Barik, inspector-in-charge of Patapur police station. Police said villager Runa Mallick, 28, slipped and fell down the stairs last week. He succumbed to his injuries in hospital next day.
However, Runa’s brother suspected Prakash to be behind the death.