The Indore Crime Branch on Saturday detained Meghna Pandey, the wife of Prashant Pandey, one of the whistleblowers in the Vyapam scam.
The police said they received a tip-off about the exchange of money through hawala near Laxmi Motors in front of Jawahar Lal Nehru Stadium.
A team led by Sanyogitaganj Police Station in-charge D S Baghel and Mahila Police Station in-charge Jyoti Sharma saw a woman carrying a bag from Laxmi Motors.
- Vyapam scam: Complaint against Digvijaya Singh, others for giving ‘false’ evidence
- Vyapam scam: MP CM Shivraj Singh Chouhan root of scam, says Kapil Sibal
- Propaganda agency may be behind smear campaign against MP, Chouhan on Vyapam: BJP mouthpiece Charaiveti
- Vyapam scam Whistleblower’s wife let off
- My wife has been detained for no reason, says Vyapam Scam whistleblower
- Tracking 23 ‘Vyapam deaths’: What families have to say
The police said the woman said her name was Meghna Pandey. Upon searching her bag, Rs 9.96 lakh was found in cash. When she could not give a satisfactory explanation, the team seized the money and informed the departments concerned. A probe is on.
Prashant, who now lives in Delhi, accused the police of intimidating him and his family ahead of the hearing of a court case.
He claimed Rs 9 lakh seized from her was meant to buy a house.
“It’s jungle raj in Madhya Pradesh,’’ he told The Sunday Express and added that he could not speak to his wife after the police took her away.
Meghna lives with his parents and two children in Indore while Prashant has shifted to Delhi citing threat to his life.
He said he and his wife have been provided police protection but no police official was present when she was detained.
According to him, it’s the third attempt to intimidate him since he started exposing the scam.