Uttarakhand’s Transport Minister Surendra Rakesh, who was elected to the state assembly from Bhgawanpur seat (Hardwar district) as BSP nominee, died in a hospital in Gurgaon on Saturday. Rakesh was suffering from cancer in his lungs.
- Uttarakhand govt knocks at SC door over HC order on removal of structures from alpine meadows
- Uttarakhand Cabinet approves revised policy on adventure sports
- Uttarakhand: At first cabinet meet post Prez rule, Rawat govt to expedite old cabinet decisions
- Uttarakhand: Congress beyond halfway in Rawat House
- CM Rawat trumps BJP with Ramdev’s Kedarnath visit
- Rawat takes oath as Uttarakhand CM
Earlier in March 2014, Rakesh was suspended from the BSP. However, he continued to support Harish Rawat-headed Congress government in Uttarakhand and subsequently remained a minister. After his death, BSP has two MLAs in Uttarakhand assembly and they are supporting the Congress government.
Meanwhile, Chief Minister Rawat cancelled the meeting of state cabinet which was scheduled to take place today’s afternoon. Rawat will receive Rakesh’s body at Bhagwanpur.