Days after skeletal remains of four persons suspected to be buried by quarry owners as human sacrifice were exhumed from a burial ground at nearby Melur, officials on Friday dug out two human skeletons from a burial site.
“Skeletons of two more persons, allegedly killed as human sacrifice by granite owners, were exhumed from a burial ghat near Melur today”, Inspector Nagarajan said.
The skeletons were ordered to be exhumed by Sagayam who has been appointed by the Madras High Court as Legal Commissioner to probe “illegal” granite quarrying in this district. He had ordered digging of some sites where some persons were allegedly killed as human sacrifice and buried by quarry- owners a few years ago.
Sagayam ordered digging of the sites at E Malampatti on the banks of the Manimutharu on a complaint that mentally- challenged persons have been given as “human sacrifice” in one of the granite quarries in 2011.
The complaint was given by one of the drivers of heavy machinery working with a granite export company but no action had been taken.
Sagayam had ordered manual exhuming as police said excavators could damage the skeletons.
Bones of four persons, that of a boy and four men, exhumed last week, have been sent for forensic test and a case has been registered against P R Palanisamy, owner of PRP granites, who was questioned by police yesterday. Three others were also questioned over the past five days.
Nagarajan said the two skeletons exhumed today would be sent for forensic analysis to determine the gender.
The exhumation was conducted amid tight security.