Launches first-of-its kind mobile special women protection squads.
Amid nationwide outrage over the rape of a five-year-old girl in Delhi,Punjab Deputy Chief Minister Sukhbir Singh Badal Monday said the two of rapes in Delhi – including the Delhi bus gangrape – had shook the entire nation and fell in the category of rarest of rare and exemplary punishment should be given to the rapists and the accused should be hanged to death given the heinous nature of the crime.
Sukhbir was interacting with media persons following the launch of Mobile Women Commando Squads in Punjab. The first-of-its kind in the country.
The squads have been trained to curb crime against women and speed up police response, said Sukhbir.
He said Punjab police was taking every step to ensure women and girls were safe in the state. The squads will be stationed in all Punjab cities within three months, he added.
The Deputy Chief Minister also said that the pilot project of Women Armed Special Protection Squads (WASPS),launched last week in Bathinda zone,was quiet encouraging. Women are increasingly becoming confident to approach them and report incidents of eve-teasing and other crime against women. Seeing the success of this pilot project,it is being replicated throughout the state, said the DCM.
The senior leaders added that both a mobile team and PCR personnel will respond on receipt of a complaint to the womens helpline. The mobile teams will instil a sense of security and provide a safe living and working environment to women, he added.
Strength of women in police force
Emphasising on increasing the strength of women in police,Badal said Punjab will soon start a recruitment drive to select 500 women DSPs and ASIs,who would be incharge of women police stations.
The Deputy Chief Minister said that his aim was to increase the strength of women in Punjab Police from three percent to 15 percent and then eventually to 33 percent.
Tarn Taran assault: Still being threatened by cops,says victim
The victim of the Tarn Taran police assault,on Monday,alleged that she was still being threatened by police personnel and their relatives,whom,she added,were pressurising her to withdraw the case. She also demanded that the inquiry of her case be shifted out of the state or handed to a senior judge.
The victim was present in the Jalandhar division commissioners office on Monday,where senior police and administrative officers were called by Commissioner S R Ladhar to record their statements. The girl,whose last statement was recorded on April 15,submitted another written statement on Monday alleging that on April 18,when Commissioner Ladhar had visited Tarn Taran in connection with the case,a property dealer threatened her in front of the commissioner. The man,Bagha,told me that I will not get the security all my life and threatened me by urging me to think of what would happen once the security is withdrawn, the girl said. The Commissioner recorded her statement in the presence of the Mahila Congress vice-president Nimisha Mehta.
Talking to The Indian Express,the victim said that there was still huge pressure from the police to withdraw the case. She had earlier alleged that she was offered Rs 5 lakh to pull out of the case.
The Supreme Court had marked a fresh probe into the case after rejecting a report by Tarn Taran deputy commissioner (DC) Balwinder Singh Multani,who had justified the thrashing,the 22-year old had received at the hands of police personnel.
When contacted,Commissioner Ladhar said that he had recorded the statements of the SSP and Deputy Commissioners (DC) B S Multani and H S Pawla.Now I have called Jagjit,who had made the video and have asked him for the original memory card. The rest of the statements have been completed Ladhar said.