Follow Us:
Tuesday, August 09, 2022

Srinagar: Policeman injured during stone-pelting on Eid succumbs to injuries

According to officials and relatives, Ahmad had suffered grievous head injuries and slipped into coma.

Written by Mir Ehsan | Srinagar |
Updated: October 21, 2014 12:37:41 pm

After battling for life for three months, a 26-year-old Jammu and Kashmir police constable who was injured during a stone-pelting incident in Srinagar’s Nishat locality, succumbed to injuries on Monday at Sheri Kashmir Institute of Medical hospital.

Waseem Ahmad, a resident of remote Manzgam Galwanpora village in South Kashmir’s Kulgam’s district was injured on Eid-ul-Fitr in July while on duty.

According to officials and relatives, Ahmad had suffered grievous head injuries and slipped into coma. “He was the only earning member in his family and was looking after his aged parents. He received serious injuries on Eid day when some people pelted stones on the police,” said Ghulam Mohammad, his uncle, said. “Now we are worried who will look after his old parents, handicapped brother and unmarried sister,” he added.

Pall of gloom descended in his native village when his body reached there. Hundreds of villagers attended his funeral. Earlier in the day senior police and civil officials laid wreaths on his body at the District Police lines.

Subscriber Only Stories
Delhi Confidential: Raghav Chadha strikes a lyrical note as he bids farew...Premium
PM’s Office declares assets of Ministers, Modi donates share in only prop...Premium
9 FIRs, many notices: Shrikant Tyagi’s long record of notorietyPremium
Post pandemic, employees reluctant to return, firms take offices to small...Premium

Inspector General of Police Abdul Gani Mir said that Waseem was deployed at Duck Park in Nishat on Eid day. “Some anti-social elements pelted stones on the police party on Eid day. Waseem suffered injuries and later slipped into coma;” he said.

After paying floral tributes, the body of Waseem was handed over to his father and maternal uncle.

Ahmad’s relatives said he was admitted in hospital for few days after the being injured and discharged but he complained of headache and was again admitted, But then he slipped into coma.


“The patient had stone injuries on his head and he was shifted to ward from the ICU after there was an improvement,” Medical Superintendent SKIMS Dr. Farooq Jan told The Indian Express. “But in the ward his condition again deteriorated and he was shifted to ICU where he succumbed.”

Ahmed was attached with the Nageen police station and his friends described him as an honest policeman who used to help people. “He was always helpful to people and a dedicated policeman,” said Manzoor Ahmad under who Waseem served in the city for some time.

TWO IS ALWAYS BETTER | Our two-year subscription package offers you more at less

📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates

For all the latest India News, download Indian Express App.

  • Newsguard
  • The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.
  • Newsguard
First published on: 21-10-2014 at 12:36:20 pm
0 Comment(s) *
* The moderation of comments is automated and not cleared manually by

Featured Stories