Congress president Sonia Gandhi Monday wrote to PM Narendra Modi on the “distressing rise in the incidents of atrocities against Dalits” and accused his government of letting lapse an ordinance brought by the UPA government to “strengthen the implementation” of Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Act. Sonia wrote that even though the Standing Committee which examined the Scheduled Castes and Scheduled Tribes (Prevention of Atrocities) Amendment Bill, which replaced the ordinance, tabled its report in December, the “government did not bring it to the Parliament for passage in the Budget session.”
- Maharashtra Minister Ramdas Athawale: SC/ST promotion Bill in monsoon session
- Bring ordinance to counter top court ruling on: Lok Janshakti Party
- Congress responsible if Dalits face atrocities even 70 years after independence, says Ram Vilas Paswan
- Govt will not allow dilution of SC/ST Act, we made it stringent, says PM Modi
- PM Modi on SC/ST Act verdict: We will not allow its dilution
- PM Modi belongs to ‘oppressive ideology’, can never respect Dalits, Ambedkar: Rahul Gandhi
She said that while it is important to ensure that a fair inquiry is conducted in such cases and the guilty are punished, it is equally important to strengthen the institutional machinery charged with the welfare of Dalits.