Congress president Sonia Gandhi will up the ante on the Vasundhara Raje government as she takes a day-long tour on Friday of farming areas hit by unseasonal rain and hailstorm.
Pradesh Congress Committee chief Sachin Pilot had earlier asked district units of the party to make an assessment of losses incurred to farmers and approach district collectors with the data.
Sonia is expected to visit parts of Kota district where farmers have reported rampant loss to the Rabi crop that was almost ready for reaping. She is then scheduled to hold a meeting in the capital on the party’s future course of action. “Her presence will give the farmers as well as the party workers great strength to battle this crisis,” Pilot said.
- Relax norms for procuring wheat, Sonia writes to govt
- Rahul still ‘on leave’, Sonia to visit Amethi today, meet rain-hit farmers
- Congress chief Sonia Gandhi seeks compensation for farmers hit by unseasonal rains
- Congress chief Sonia Gandhi visits farmers in Kota villages
- Vasundhara Raje visits rain-hit farmers before Sonia’s proposed tour
- Rajasthan assembly on two-day recess to help MLAs assess crop damage
Meanwhile, CM Raje has written to the Centre, seeking more assistance to farmers affected by the hailstorm and unseasonal rain and suggested relaxations in the State Disaster Response Fund norms.
Raje has sought that criterion for agriculture input subsidy should be on the basis of actual damage to crop and livestock.
She has also insisted on increasing the limit of agriculture input subsidy under the SDRF rules so that farmers other than small and marginal farmers can get sufficient assistance.