All the three accused in the Sheena Bora murder case — Indrani Mukerjea, Sanjeev Khanna and Shyamvar Rai — will be produced in a court in Mumbai as their police custody ends on Monday.
On Saturday, the Bandra Metropolitan Magistrate court had extended their custody till Monday with the prosecution stating that the ongoing probe is yet to cover a large area and that Indrani remains “uncooperative and a hard nut to crack.”
Special Public Prosecutor Vaibhav Bagade had said, “Accused (Indrani) has remained uncooperative.
“Scope of probe is large. Accused is a hard nut to crack. They have used modern tools like email and Internet to plan the murder. Progress shown is already on record. We have not wasted a single day. They impersonated the victim by creating false email. She (Indrani) created bogus email id. Custody is short considering the vastness of investigation,” Bagade had said.
- Sheena Bora murder case: JCP says Indrani Mukerjea approached him to track relative in 2012
- Sheena Bora case: Indrani told me not to visit her house for 3 days says ex-housekeeper
- Sheena Bora murder case: Didn’t know reality, only followed my boss’ orders, says Indrani’s former secy
- Sheena Bora murder case: Judicial Custody of Indrani Mukerjea, 2 other accused extended
- Body parts found in Raigad forest is of Sheena, confirms DNA sample report; Indrani sent to judicial custody
- Sheena Bora case: Police call Indrani Mukerjea ‘a hard nut to crack’; extend custody of all prime accused till Sept 7
He said investigations were underway to ascertain who else helped Indrani and the police needed reasonable time for its probe.
“We need to know who else helped her. Emails need to be studied. The Crime was committed across jurisdictions. Bank accounts maintained by accused no. 2 (Indrani) and accused no. 3 (her former husband Sanjeev Khanna) are across the UK and Mumbai. We need to investigate payments made from these accounts.
“We need to recover accused (Indrani’s) credit card. Accused shows complete reluctance to cooperate. Additional offence under section 307 (attempt to murder) was added. The materials and persons with whom accused no. 2 had contact need to be investigated. The police need reasonable time,” Bagade had said.
On Sunday, Indrani, the mother of 24-year-old Sheena, was taken to her residence in Worli in Mumbai, apparently to connect a few “remaining dots” in the murder mystery marked by involvement of dramatis personae while Khanna and Rai (former driver of Indrani) — were grilled at Khar police station.
Indrani was later brought back to Khar police station.
This was Indrani’s first visit to her residence since her arrest last month. Her husband Peter Mukerjea was also present at their residence.