Seven members of a family are feared dead after a house collapsed due to heavy rains at Diwalkund in Doda on Friday, police said.
“The house of Jodh Ram, a resident of Diwalkund in Dessa belt of the district, collapsed today because of heavy rains in the area,” said Senior Superintendent of Police (Doda) Javed Naseeb Manhas.
He said all the inmates of the house were trapped under the debris.
- Heavy rains kill at least 55 across six states
- J&K on high flood alert; 3 dead in rain-related incidents in Jammu
- J&K: Fresh landslide blocks Jammu-Srinagar national highway
- Seven dead in rain-related incidents in Raj; thunderstorm likely over western UP
- J&K: Two dead, 7 feared killed in landslides
- 10 killed in house collapse due to landslide in Rajouri
“The incident has taken place at a very remote and inaccessible area. We have rushed a police team to the spot. So far we have not recovered any body but we fear that the all the inmates might have died in the mishap,” he said.
He said police and army have launched a rescue operation, but initial reports suggest that the inmates of the house would not have survived.