The government has withdrawn security to former Congress MLA Satish Chaturvedi.
According to a press note issued by BJP East Nagpur MLA Krishna Khopde,who had defeated veteran Chaturvedi in the last Assembly elections,Home Minister R R Patil has issued a letter on September 26,withdrawing the security cover for Chaturvedi.
A senior police officer confirmed the development. A letter has been received. I am out of town,so will be able to talk about its content only tomorrow, he said.
Khopde had been pursuing the issue of the continuation of Chaturvedis official security even though he was no longer an MLA and had even raised the matter in the Assembly. (Home Minister) R R Patil had referred the matter to a high-powered security committee. The committee has finally recommended removal of security cover at government cost to Chaturvedi, Khopde said.
He had argued that while the Nagpur police faced manpower crunch,a jobless Chaturvedi had 15-odd personnel giving him security at a cost of Rs 7 lakh (incurred on their salaries) per month. The security cover was without any justification. I have been questioning it and raising the issue with the chief minister and the home minister too, said Khopde.
Chaturvedi refused to be drawn into the issue. The government has a discretion in providing security. They do it on the basis of some intelligence inputs and threat perception and not on being asked by someone for it. I am neither contradicting nor endorsing Khopdes claim. The police should be able to confirm it. I have nothing to say, he told The Indian Express.