The RSS membership is growing at 10,000 to 15,000 recruits every month and says it has reached every district except parts of Kashmir and Assam.
“With the change in political atmosphere, many people or organisations who earlier supported us but hesitated to join us are now openly working with us. This is a big change,” RSS saha sarakaryavah V Bhagaiah said in an interview to RSS organ Organiser. “About two years ago, just 8,000 to 1,000 people would join the RSS (every month) but now it is 10,000 to 15,000 joining us every month.”
- Only Left can keep BJP away in Kerala, people know they need us: CPM state chief Kodiyeri
- Rahul Gandhi’s job lessons at OBC meet has Coke-shikanji twist
- Pranab Mukherjee’s Nagpur visit gives massive boost to RSS’s image makeover bid
- From disquiet to relief: Congress says Pranab Mukherjee showed RSS the mirror
- Pranab Mukherjee to address RSS today, his daughter sends reminder: Speech will be forgotten, visual will stay
- Where RSS has invited Pranab Mukherjee
RSS members attribute the growth to their “Join RSS” initiative. In the interview, Bhagaiah said the response from college students and IT professionals has been huge. And an office-bearer said, “The RSS has expanded its base to all districts of the country except 14 districts of Kashmir and some remote areas in Assam. Of 55,000 mandals in the country, we are active in 25,000.”
The RSS hopes to reach every mandal this year. According to plans charted out at the RSS meeting in Nainital from July 22 to 24, sources said, prants and kshetra-level karyakartas and adhikaris will tour every khand, previously called talukas or blocks. At every village, they will try and engage farmers and labourers in organisational work.
Among the objectives of this is to promote social harmony and organic farming while discouraging chemical farming, RSS sources said.