Updated: July 30, 2015 7:20:37 am
President Pranab Mukherjee on Thursday rejected the mercy plea of Yakub Memon crushing all hopes of the 1993 Mumbai serial blasts convict. A few hours later, Memon was hanged at the Nagpur central jail.
Earlier in the day, the Supreme Court court cleared the way for execution of Memon as it dismissed his petition against the death warrant.
A three-judge bench headed by Justice Dipak Misra said there was no legal fallacy in issuance of the death warrant on April 30 or dismissal of his curative petition on July 21.
It said all rules were duly complied with in dealing with Yakub’s plea and he was also given adequate notice about impending execution so that he could avail possible legal remedies.
Best of Express Premium
The decision came after Mukherjee held consultations first with Home Minister Rajnath Singh who was later joined by Home Secretary L C Goyal and Solicitor General Ranjit Kumar.
Security across Maharashtra and especially in Mumbai has been beefed up in view of Yakub’s body likely to be brought to the city to be handed over to family members.
📣 Join our Telegram channel (The Indian Express) for the latest news and updates
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.