Updated: April 11, 2014 5:31:00 pm
A 10-month-old boy,found infected with the vaccine-derived polio virus (VDPV),died in Latur district civil hospital due to brain damage,a doctor said.
Rohit Rajabhu Shelke was found to be infected with VDPV type 2.
The child was diagnosed with fever on April 27 and suffered paralysis of left limbs on May 4,followed by convulsions. The other limbs were eventually paralysed,after which he was admitted to a private hospital in Ambejogai. On May 9,he was shifted to the Latur Government Medical College.
Latur district civil hospitals medical officer Dr S J Gore said that though the boy died on Saturday following a convulsion,the exact cause of death could only be known after the postmortem.
Best of Express Premium
Sources said there was a gap of seven months between the first and the second polio doses administered to the child,instead of the ideal period of a month.
🗞 Subscribe Now: Get Express Premium to access our in-depth reporting, explainers and opinions 🗞️
- The Indian Express website has been rated GREEN for its credibility and trustworthiness by Newsguard, a global service that rates news sources for their journalistic standards.