In a major security breach, a policeman guarding the house of J&K roads and building minister Altaf Bukhari decamped with two rifles Friday night. The police have launched a manhunt to trace him.
Officials said Naseer Ahmad Pandit of the 11 battalion of J&K Armed Police, who was posted at the guard room of the minister’s house, decamped with two AK rifles and two magazines.
Pandit, a resident of Kareemabad Pulwama, had recently been posted to the minister’s house by the security wing of the police.
- J&K: Policeman dies after militants attack security team outside NC leader’s house
- Seven cops suspended for letting DSP ‘trespass’ into CM Nitish Kumar’s residence
- J-K: Special Police Officer cop escapes with rifle, joins Hizbul Mujahideen
- J&K: Video shot before killing of army jawan circulated on social media
- J&K police arrest two associates of missing police constable
- Suspected militants snatch rifle from policeman after shooting at him
Sources said he went missing Friday night and three youths had apparently been waiting for him outside the minister’s house in Shiekhbagh. He reportedly left the place with the youths in a private vehicle.
Police raided Pandit’s house in South Kashmir but could not find him there. However, they managed to seize the vehicle he used to flee the minister’s house.
Police spokesman Manoj Pandita confirmed that Pandit had decamped with two rifles. “The investigation has been started,” he said.
PDP spokesman Waheed Parra said the policeman had been posted there only two weeks ago. “It is a big security breach; the policeman could target anybody at the minister’s house,” Parra said.
Sources said that after the cop went missing, police issued an alert that four youths were also missing from Pulwama district.
Sources said officials are trying to establish the link between the missing youths and the cop. Sources said there is possibility the policeman, who joined the department in 2007, could have joined hands with militants.
Meanwhile, an assistant sub-inspector went missing in Ganderbal and a team was formed to find him.