Another Pakistani militant captured alive, four others killed in North Kashmir encounter

Another Pakistani militant captured alive, four others killed in North Kashmir encounter

The operation is still going in the area and the Army is now conducting searches in the villages of Rafiabad.

pakistan terrorist, kashmir encounter
Special Operation Group (SOG) jawans take positions near the house where militants were hiding during an encounter at Rafiabad area of Baramulla district on Thursday. A Pakistani militant was captured alive in the encounter. (Source: PTI)

The Army claimed to have captured another Pakistani militant during an encounter at Qazinag Dhara area in North Kashmir’s Baramulla district on Thursday. Four militants were killed in the operation.

The captured militant was identified as Sajjad alias Abu Ubdhallah, 22, a resident of Balochistan in Pakistan, and a Lashkar-e-Toiba militant, Army sources said. The four deceased have not been identified, but officials said they could all be foreign militants who had infiltrated into Indian territory.

This is the second time this month that a Pakistani militant has been captured alive in Jammu and Kashmir.



On August 3, Mohammad Naveed alias Usman was arrested while his accomplice was killed at Udhampur, soon after they attacked a BSF bus on the Srinagar-Jammu national highway.


Sajjad was nabbed after an overnight encounter near the Line of Control in Rafiabad area. After initial questioning, Army sources said, Sajjad was handed over to Special Operations Group of J&K Police. He will be interrogated either at Joint Interrogation Centre in Baramulla or Srinagar by a joint team of officials.

Sajjad was captured inside a cave in the mountains of Viji area in Qazinag belt, where he had taken shelter. He showed no resistance when Army teams entered the cave.



Deputy Inspector General of Police, North Kashmir, Gareeb Dass told The Indian Express: “Four militants were killed in the encounter and one Pakistani militant was captured alive. He has been taken away from the area of operation for questioning.”

A defence spokesman in Srinagar said the operation began on Monday, after the Army received an input about the presence of militants in the upper reaches of Rafiabad.

“The Army and police launched an operation in the forest area of Rafiabad, at Kazinag Dhar ridge, on August 24. Due to the operation, the militants moved to the higher reaches of the ridge. The Special Forces were dropped in the area by helicopters,” he said, adding that the first contact with the militants was established on Wednesday.

Four AK rifles and two UBGLs were recovered from the encounter site, the spokesperson added.

Download the Indian Express apps for iPhone, iPad or Android